Thursday, July 15, 2010

What I learned and how to use it!

When I looked at the schedule of classes for our masters program, I was very intimidated by the Research title for this course. I have to admit that my idea of research is reflective of old school thinking. After reading the chapters in the text I an overwhelming sense of relief passed over me. To actually be able to put into practice and affect my own classroom practices is an exciting prospect. The idea of action research as a way to reflect on the needs of the campus, investigate possible changes, put those changes into action and evaluate the results, appeals to me as a science teacher. As educators we constantly need to evaluate our success and learn from our failures.

I hope to use the action research plan to better reach the students in 5th grade science. As the only science teacher for this upcoming academic year I am feeling considerable pressure in regards to the success of the students. In addition to that, I have been given the responsibilities of science coach for the campus. I hope to use what I have learned to improve my own teaching practices and also show the importance of science in the lower grades’ curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment